Monday, October 13, 2014

Unofficial Flagler Alumni Asia Chapter

So, in 2009, when I had signed a contract at 외대어학원 in Paju, Korea and was still in Dallas awaiting my visa, my boss Linda told me that she had hired another teacher who graduated from my same college. I didn't believe her, because A) Flagler is really small and what are the odds? and B)  our entire interview consisted of her telling me how pretty I was and how pretty SHE was, so as much as I wanted to put my faith in her, I had my doubts. 

As it turns out, there WAS another Flagler graduate at Oe Dae (pronounced "way day"), and therefore I spent the next 6 years in no doubt of my beauty (nor Linda's). This girl's name was Heather Mitchell, and we have managed to keep this friendship of ours strong over 6 years and several continent changes.

    LINDA AND HEATHER: THERE WAS A LOT OF LOVE THERE AT THE END.

Heather was there for me when I first started dating Ly in Cambodia (and warned me of her concern that Asian men don't age well and to consider that before taking the plunge into marriage), and I was there for her when the Korean doctors diagnosed her with Hep A and basically accused her of visiting Southeast Asia because there's NO WAY Korean seafood could have made her sick! (I still love Korean ethnocentrism). I could write a whole blog post about Heather (and probably will one day), but let me move on to the other members of the Asia Chapter.

Several months into our stint at Oe Dae, we had ANOTHER Flagler alum join us at our humble little school. Her name was Kaleen Nora. She actually graduated the same year as me and we had mutual friends, and yet somehow had to end up in the middle of nowhere-Korea to meet each other.

             GYPSIES FOR HALLOWEEN. IF THERE'S ONE THING KALEEN AND I DO WELL TOGETHER, IT'S FLAUNT OUR BIG- BONEDEDNESS.

So then there were 3 Flagler graduates in one place. And then another 2008 grad, Jessica Griner (this girl's friendship literally helped me graduate), came to visit from China. 

                  AND THE UNOFFICIAL FLAGLER ALUMNI ASIA CHAPTER WAS BORN!

Fast-forward 6 years and I'm now in Cambodia, Heather is in Saudi Arabia, Kaleen is in America, and Jessica has remained faithful to China. Since Heather's school was out for Eid and Jessica's school was out for some sort of national holiday (I can't be bothered to look it up), they just so happened to have overlapping visits to Cambodia. Unfortunately, Kaleen didn't have a holiday to bring her to this neck of the woods, so she couldn't make the mixer. But here we are, cruising along the Tonle Sap and soaking up the Kingdom of Wonder:


I have to say, I think we've aged well.  Here's to the next mixer, gals.  Let's get planning!

XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment